Friday, April 11, 2014

Cream, Gel, or Ointment

Time for an update on my other chronic condition. Get excited!

Last week, my GP suggested that I would need to take a systemic medication for my hideous head-to-toe psoriasis. I spent hours researching the medication, which is really strong and has side effects. Then, today when I went to the dermatologist, he prescribed topical steriods and phototherapy. I'm thrilled. Nothing could please me more than going to the clinic over my lunch hour and standing in front of the UVB lights.

He decided on this course after inquiring after my living situation.

"Would it be possible for you to run around naked in your back yard?"

"Um," I said. "Not really."

"Okay," he said, directing the nurse to type something into the computer. "I'm prescribing light therapy. It's by far the most effective treatment for your type of psoriasis."

"Great," I said. "So in the meantime, I should go outside with not too many clothes on..."

"The least amount of clothes allowed by law," he confirmed.

"and walk around?"

"Yes," he said.

I'll try to accomplish this. I really will. But, I'll also go to the light booth three times per week for six weeks. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

LH said...

I'm so excited about this. I would have prescribed a light booth months ago but I assumed you had already tried this treatment. Get that bikini on and doing some yoga poses in the backyard. Or tai chi. Everyone will be awesomely impressed.

LH said...

I mean....until you can get to your light booth!

mm said...

I'm laughing about the doctor asking you if you could run around naked in the backyard and picturing your boys looking out the window in horror.

Anonymous said...

This is great news and the doctor's solution will save the family the embarrassment of a running arround nude mom! Really hope this does it! Mom