Sunday, August 16, 2015

And the Motor Goes



It's happened fast, but it's time - school starts tomorrow.  Not for the children, but for the teachers.  All of the teachers except for me because I'll be traveling home from John and Galen's NYC wedding, which is tonight.  Woo!

In any case, it's that time again where I determine a motto for the school year.  Remember? I've had BRIGHT LIGHT, Best Year Ever, EPIC, Get It Done, and probably a couple of others.

This year, I'm considering changing tacks. Here's the story:

My lifelong friend Emily called me last week, lamenting the fact that we'd missed the summer window this year, failed to get together, and now it'd be months before she had another chance.

Because she's generous, kind, and has known me since the beginning of my career, she wisely said, "So, call me when you get settled into the school year, and..."

"No," I found myself cutting her off.  "I'm not doing that this year.  Let's make plans now."

"What?" she said, confused.

"I'm not disappearing into my work this year," I answered firmly.  "How about the 21st?"

And just like that, my motto was born.  I'm not disappearing into my work.  I'm starting by missing the first day of the school year.  Of course, I didn't mean to miss the first day.  It's just necessary because the choice was either to miss it or miss the wedding.

I mean, duh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love .this. motto.
I think I will add it to my mantra of Lee's "Do your best, forget the rest." These mottos really do help me! Thank you.
N

mm said...

This is a great motto which I've used all summer either intentionally or unintentionally. Maybe I, too, should take it into the school year.

Melanie said...

I LOVE THIS MOTTO SO MUCH AND CAN I PLEASE ALSO GET ON YOUR CALENDAR?

KC said...

Thanks for the support, friends!!

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to adopt this as my motto, too!! Exactly what I've been thinking and needing. Love you and I better be all over your calendar starting one week from today! :)
love,
mary