Sunday, August 23, 2015

#NovelSnip

The summer wasn't as prolific as I imagined it would be.  I mean, the summer was flipping amazing.  But, I didn't spend a lot of time on this fiction writing project. Back in the spring, my father in-law asked if I could just write this damn book in chronological order.  Also, I got a text from Lee: What's the difference between Alice and Norah? she asked.

So, the feeling I'm getting is that my concept isn't really coming through in the #NovelSnip medium.  

That's okay.  Someday it might be a whole book, and it'll make more sense.  In the meantime, it might help to know that Alice is the daughter of Norah and Peter.  She was adopted by Evelyn and Frank, who are her parents.  The narrative goes back and forth through time right now. Norah and Peter falling in love.  Evelyn and Frank parenting Alice and Ethan.  Alice growing up, and in one scene I haven't published here yet, being an adult. In the end, I'm not sure I imagine the time like that.  I'm sort of thinking there will be large chunks in chronological order, which might make Dan's dad happier. His happiness is critically important to me.  Do you know how awesome that dude is?

In any case, this is Alice at 19, seeing Peter for the very first time:

Alice stood still in the fiction section and willed him to turn around.  It had to be him – the height right and the build, a slight slouch to the left in his shoulders.  She gulped and watched him scan the spines of the novels, one hand reaching toward the flat front of a staff recommendation.
 
Alice's arms tingled, and she turned back toward the door, reaching her right hand to her ribcage, nervously pressing through her flesh and fingering the ridge sloping away from her sternum.
Should she go out and come back in, making more noise this time? Perhaps she could startle him into turning around and meeting her gaze.  She turned toward the door and took a few steps away before peering backward over her shoulder and changing course.
Deep breath.  Sneakers forward.  A tap on the left scapula, a turn.  Blue eyes through glasses.  A sharp inhale.
Alice tilted toward him, right arm forward.  “Hi,” she breathed.

“Well, hello,” he said, warmly, sliding his left arm over her shoulder and clapping her firmly, as she patted his back.  I’m doing this wrong, she thought, letting her cheek rest briefly against his chest.  She shifted her weight back to her heels and stared at the bottom rims of his glasses, at the way they met his cheeks, the way his nose spread a bit as he smiled at her.  “Shall we walk?” he said, and she nodded, turning back toward the door, a half smile and slight stomachache.

2 comments:

mm said...

Some day I'll track down your father-in-law. We'll have a beer (or his drink of choice) and talk about your #novelstrip. We'll also chat about Hillary and Bernie. Perhaps we'll even discuss Joe joining the race. I do think he's a wise man and agree that it's a bit confusing not being in chronological order, but I think today's little explanation and introduction helped.

LH said...

I like this. Thanks for sharing #novelsnip. It's very awesome.