Saturday, October 3, 2015

Walking Through the Hills

Shef has reached a pivotal moment.

"I'm in choir," he told me despondently, "and I can't SING."

"That's why you have a TEACHER," I said encouragingly.  And his teacher is really tops.  He makes singers out of tons of kids with limited natural talent.  Not that I'm saying that Shef has limited natural talent.  He might have a lot of latent choir talent, for all I know.

"It's TERRIBLE," he said.  Choir was really causing him some pain, it was clear.

"I'm really sorry, "I said.  "You can switch for seventh grade, you know, if you want to play an instrument."

Except, he really doesn't want to play an instrument.

"It might be one of those things that you just have to stick with for a couple of years," I said, honestly.  "Maybe a little saying would help?"I offered. "Like, something you tell yourself when you go into choir to help you get through it."

"Like, 'Choir SUCKS'?" Shef suggested.

"I was thinking of something a little more positive," I said, thinking.  "Like, maybe, this is choir and..."

"We're one class closer to the end?" Shef finished.

Sure, I agreed.  It was better than "Choir sucks," so I'm calling it a victory.

2 comments:

mm said...

It's certainly a start.

LH said...

Shef is obviously the best singer there.